Thursday, June 28, 2012

Inspiration and Different Outlook

So, the other day I was in a real bad mood. Tears even. Lot of things piled up and just felt awful. Some of my angst was a real frustration about my goals and direction.

Now, I DO have a plan. I'm taking an extensive, lengthy course on copy writing. I'm also going to be taking another course - this one a seven week deal - on building a "passive income" website. Money has been plunked down for both.

And I'm trying to keep up with reading. Reading anything, but especially the myriad number of books that keep finding their way to me. OK just cuz you're curious, I can tell you are - don't deny it!

I'm currently reading : A Storm of Swords, part of the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George A.A. Martin (same dude that brings us HBO's Game of Thrones which was the first book in the series. (The second season of GOT, was actually A Clash of Kings).

 My other selections follow a fantasy-ish bent too. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, a cyber punk dystopian tale based on smart-alecky folks who learn how to immerse themselves into a computer generated world - an MMOG (Massively Multi-player Online Game) of sorts. They spend time doing interesting things in both the Real World and this "Metaverse". I was really intrigued after the lengthy research I did on the game Second Life. Linden Labs, the creators of Second Life, clearly drew their inspiration from Stephenson's work. Very interesting, but not the smoothest read. Not done yet.
 
Lastly, and thanks for bearing with me, because the book roundup was not at all what this post is actually about..but that's OK... is Pipedreams: A Freak Tale by Stephen Hartford and Michael Harmon. It's a big thick thing, as books go, and I'm really enjoying it. Not quite a dystopian setting here, more post-apocalyptic. Some of the geographical locations are familiar, the story takes place wayyy, in the future, in what used to be known as New England. The book was originally begun quite a few years ago, when hippies were a bit more plentiful and the fallout from Vietnam was fresh. I'm giving it link love today because I know one of the authors and I think this novel could go places. To be fair, I'm not done yet, but I have a good feeling about this.

So, back to my original thought train.

I was feeling confused and a little lost about my future, despite those cool courses I'm doing. My worries were more centered on the other type of writing I do. Not the TV/Film/Music stuff.

The real stuff, the essay stuff.

My book.

I will  have to leave this thought dangle for now..but I will return!

No comments: